Assistant Professor of Economics
Miller College of Business
Ball State University
Peer Reviewed Articles
1. “Growth, pollution, and life expectancy: China from 1991-2012” (with Avraham Ebenstein, Michael Greenstone, Guojun He etc.) forthcoming American Economic Review
2. “Supplemental nutrition assistance program and childhood obesity in the U.S.: Evidence from the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth 1997” (with Yanhong Jin), forthcoming American Journal of Health Economics
3. “Air Pollution and Respiratory Mortality in 32 Chinese Cities” (with Guojun He and Maigeng Zhou, etc.) forthcoming Environment Research
4. “Why Do Fewer Agricultural Workers Migrate Now?” (with Susan Gabbard, Anita Pena and Jeffrey Perloff), forthcoming American Journal of Agricultural Economics
5. “Singleton Status And Childhood Obesity: Investigating Effects And Mechanisms” (with Yanhong Jin), forthcoming Economics Bulletin
6. “Smog Episodes, Fine Particulate Pollution and Mortality in China” (with Maigeng Zhou, Guojun He, etc.), Environmental Research, Volume 136, January 2015, pp. 396–404.
7. “The Gain Of Cadre Status In Rural China: Investigating Effects And Mechanisms” (with Yanhong Jin, Mingwang Chen and Qinghua Shi), China Economic Review, Volume 31, December 2014, pp. 185-200.
8. “Overweight Misperception among Adolescents in the United States” (with Yanhong Jin and Jagdish Khubchandani), Journal of Pediatric Nursing, Volume 29, Issue 6, 2014, pp. 536-546.
9. “Health Care Reform: Understanding Individuals’ Attitudes and Information Sources” (with Carolyn K. Shue, Kerry Anne McGeary, Ian Reid, Jagdish Khubchandani), BioMed Research International, Volume 2014, pp. 1-8. [PDF][Cite]
10. “Determinants of Child Labor in the Modern United States: Evidence from Agricultural Workers and their Children and Concerns for Ongoing Public Policy” (with Anita Pena and Mimi Huston), Economics Bulletin, Volumn 34, Issue 1, February 2014, pp. 287-306. [PDF][Cite]
11. “Obesity and Self-Control: Food Consumption, Physical Activity and Weight-loss Intention” (with Yanhong Jin), Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, Volume 36, Issue 1, March 2014, pp. 125-145. [PDF][Appendix][Cite]
12. “Do Neighborhood Parks/Playgrounds Reduce Childhood Obesity?” (with Yanhong Jin), American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Volume 96, Issue 1, January 2014, pp. 26-42. [PDF][Appendix][Cite]
14. “Do Food Stamps Contribute to Obesity in Low-Income Women? Evidence from the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth 1979,” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Volume 92, Issue 4, July 2010, pp. 1165-1180. [PDF][Appendix][Cite]
15. “Balancing Grower Protection Against Agency Concerns: An Economic Analysis of Contract Termination Damages” (with Myoungki Lee and Steven Wu), Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Volume 33, Number 2, August 2008, pp.154-168.[PDF][Cite]
1. “Is Money in Medical Saving Accounts Discounted?” (with Zhen Lei and Gordon Liu) Resubmitted to American Journal of Health Economics
2. “Recession and the U.S. Agricultural Labor Market: Implications for Immigrant Workers and Farm Employers” (with Anita Pena) Resubmission requested by American Journal of Agricultural Economics
3. “The Effect of Air Pollution on Mortality: Evidence from the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games” (with Guojun He and Maigeng Zhou) Under Review
4. “The Effects of Weight Perception on Adolescents’ Weight-loss Intentions and Behaviors: Evidence from the U.S. data” (with Yanhong Jin) Under Review
5. “A Difference in Semielasticities Interpretation for Dichotomous Variable Interaction Terms in Nonlinear Models” (with Shengwu Shang and Erik Nesson) Under Review
Survey of Economic Ideas, Microeconomics, Labor Economics, Health Economics Analysis, Health Economics and Policy
Miller College of Business
Whitinger Business Building, Room 201
2000 W. University Ave.
Muncie, IN 47306